"Standard Triumph" No. 24 Lady's. Vintage bicycle ad restored and enhanced by Scenesfromthepast.net. The genesis of what would become Triumph Cycle Company began in 1884 when Siegfried Bettmann emigrated to Coventry in England from Nuremberg, part of the German Empire. In 1885, aged 20, Bettmann founded his own company, the S. Bettmann & Co. Import Export Agency, in London, England. Bettmann's original products were bicycles, which the company bought from other manufacturers and then sold under its own brand name. Bettmann also distributed sewing machines imported from Germany. In 1886, Bettmann sought a more universal name, and the company became known as the Triumph Cycle Company. A year later, the company registered as the New Triumph Co. Ltd., now with financial backing from the Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Company, who were interested in promoting commercial use of pneumatic bicycle tires. Triumph began manufacturing its own bicycles for sale in 1894. In 1902, the company produced its first motorcycle, and in 1905, introduced the first all-British motorcycle. Motorcycle production continued until 1982 (see Triumph Motorcycles). The company's Coventry factory was levelled by German bombing raids during World War II. After the war, as Triumph Cycle Co. Ltd., the company mainly produced lightweight sports roadster bicycles, exporting significant quantities to the United States. In 1951 Triumph Cycle Co. Ltd. was sold to BSA. The bicycle division of BSA was purchased by Raleigh Bicycle Company in 1956, and continued to make bicycles under Raleigh management.