Alco-Schenectady Locomotive Works, 1870 Postcard
Alco-Schenectady Locomotive Works, 1870
The American Locomotive Company Schenectady Works PRIOR to 1901 this Works was known as the Schenectady Locomotive Works, and as such was incorporated in 1851. It was built in 1848 by citizens of Schenectady, and equipped by the Norris Brothers, of Philadelphia, who were among the pioneer locomotive builders of this country. The Works ever since it was started has contributed to the development of the American locomotive and has built engines of all styles for both the domestic and foreign trade. The total number of engines built by this shop now amounts to 7800. In the sixties, this shop was widely known as the home of the McQueen engine. The name was taken from Mr. McQueen, who was superintendent of the Works from 1851 to 1876. For many years the plant was commonly known as the Ellis Locomotive Works, being owned and managed by different members of the Ellis family from 1863 to 1901. In 1901 the Works was purchased by the American Locomotive Company and has become the largest of the nine plants operated by this company which have a capacity of 3000 engines a year; 750 of these being produced at Schenectady.