Von der Ahe Library (ca. 1984) Postcard
Charles Von der Ahe Library, named for its principal donor and founder of the Von's grocery chain, opened to the public in fall 1959. Designed by Albert C. Martin and Associates, the building was comprised of 42,000 gross square feet to house 150,000 volumes with seating for 362 patrons in reading room seating, individual study carrels, and 12 closed faculty study rooms. On March 8, 1976, President Donald P. Merrifield, S.J. signed a $1.8 million contract to begin library expansion construction. The addition to the Von der Ahe Library opened in 1980, giving a total of 88,427 gross square feet, seating capacity of 656, and collection capacity of 183,729 volumes. The addition also included a popular atrium and fountain in the library.